Welcome to Family Faith Development at First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati!
If you are new to First Church, I want to extend an extra special welcome. Family Faith Development at First Church, what some other congregations might refer to as Religious Education, is markedly different from what you’ll find at some other UU congregations because our focus is on the family, not just the child. We understand your life is busy. We understand that, at times, you feel overburdened with the work of raising a family. But, we also understand that you are your child’s greatest teacher. While we might have only 40 hours in a given year to influence your child, you, as their parent, have over 3,000 hours. Therefore, we are committed to partnering with you, to offer programming that not only fits into your busy schedule but that eases your burden as well.
If you would like to learn more about Family Faith Development's philosophy and policies, make sure to check out our overview. To learn more about our programming, including your child's curriculum for the year, be sure to take a look at our prospectus. Below, you will find a description of what your child will be learning, and doing, this coming Sunday, as well as a list of upcoming events and opportunities.
- Meredith Plummer, Director of Lifespan Faith Development
This Sunday, October 13th
- Preschool - Kindergarten: Your child will learn what it means to be kind and helpful. They will read Miss. Rumphius by Barbara Cooney, and make Kindness Coupons.
- 1st - 3rd Grade: Your child will follow up on their discussion about homelessness from this past Sunday, and design a project to raise money for the Interfaith Hospitality Network of Cincinnati.
- 4th - 5th Grade: Your child will travel to Australia, where they will hear one aboriginal creation story. Then, they will learn a bit about Australia's unique animals with a game of either hedbanz or charades.
- Jr. High: Your youth will continue their discussion from last Sunday, and play a few games.
- Sr. High: Your youth will explore the concepts of freedom and tolerance, and how these concepts pertain to Unitarian Universalist theology.
Register Your Child(ren) and Youth
Now is the time to register your child(ren) and/or youth for Sunday School and/or Youth Group. By registering, you're not only providing us with important information so we can better serve your family, but your ensuring you remain in-the-loop. Family Faith Development emails only go to registered families. Click on your child's class below to register.
Infant / Toddlers
Preschool - Kindergarten
1st - 3rd Grade
4th - 5th Grade
Jr. High (6th - 8th Grade)
Sr. High (9th - 12th Grade)
Children and Youth Choirs
The children's choir meets on the first Sunday of each month in room 207 from 11:25 AM to 11:55 PM, and is open to all 0 - 5th graders. The youth choir meets on the third Sunday of each month in room 207 from 11:25 AM to 12:25 PM, and is open to all 6th - 12th graders.
Avondale's Annual Trunk-or-Treat will be October 26 from 3 PM to 5:30 PM at South Avondale Elementary. This year, First Church is very excited to be partnering with a number of local organizations to offer this event. This is a great opportunity for you to get to know our Avondale neighbors, so I hope you will join us.
Sundays this December we will be transforming our basement into a winter wonderland, and our classrooms in holiday workshops. For just this month, we will be suspending lessons, and inviting our children in PreK - 5th grade to "Create, Make, and Take gifts for First Church members and loved ones."
Adulting Classes for Teens
These classes, offered every three months will help teens address the practical problems in their lives. Click on the flier below to register.
Parents' Night Out
Let's face it, you need a break, and so do your children. Click on the flier below to register.