Welcome to Family Faith Development at First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati!
If you are new to First Church, I want to extend an extra special welcome. Family Faith Development at First Church, what some other congregations might refer to as Religious Education, is markedly different from what you’ll find at some other UU congregations because our focus is on the family, not just the child. We understand your life is busy. We understand that, at times, you feel overburdened with the work of raising a family. But, we also understand that you are your child’s greatest teacher. While we might have only 40 hours in a given year to influence your child, you, as their parent, have over 3,000 hours. Therefore, we are committed to partnering with you, to offer programming that not only fits into your busy schedule but that eases your burden as well.
If you would like to learn more about Family Faith Development's philosophy and policies, make sure to check out our overview. To learn more about our programming, including your child's curriculum for the year, be sure to take a look at our prospectus. Below, you will find a description of what your child will be learning, and doing, this coming Sunday, as well as a list of upcoming events and opportunities.
- Meredith Plummer, Director of Lifespan Faith Development
Sunday, January 19th
- Preschool - Kindergarten: Today, your Preschooler and Kindergartner will learn how to play fair. They'll read Be Fair and Share by Maria Maysen and play musical chairs.
- 1st - 3rd Grade: Today, your 1st - 3rd grader will consider the question "What is God?" They'll read pages 1 - 6 of What is God? by Etan Boritzer, and create a class mobile.
- 4th - 5th Grade: Today, your 4th - 5th grader will travel to Thailand, learn a bit about Buddhism, and explore the spiritual practice of art.
- Jr. High: Today, your Jr. High youth will attend the service.
- Sr. High: Today, your Sr. High youth will attend the service.
Upcoming and Ongoing Opportunities
Parents' Night Out
There is a tradition in my family. Every Valentine's Day, we make reservations at White Castle, and take my Grandmother out to dinner. Hey, don't judge, it's fun and it is one of her favorite places to eat! Parents' of young children, perhaps you might want to do the same. Or, perhaps you want to attend February's Examining X program? Or, maybe, you would like to do something a bit more romantic? If you chose the last option, then don't worry, we have your childcare covered. The next Parents' Night Out will be Friday, February 14 (Valentine's Day) from 6:15 PM to 9:45 PM. Register by February 12 by clicking on the flier below.